Jullundur Private Limited has managed to increase the production of JPL Tissue Culture Virus Free Potato Seed through the Tissue Culture Technique from 500 M. tons to 750 M. tons. In view of the increased demand of the potato growers the JPL potato seed is healthy/disease free, better in quality than imported, and economical.
Tissue Culture Laboratory produces seed stock for the publicly available varieties of seed potato growers in Punjab. The potato tissue culture laboratory is part of the Seed Corporation. Each year, a number of tissue culture plants derived from potato tubers are sent to the seed farm for production at a large scale.
The purpose of the potato tissue culture laboratory is to
- JPL Tissue Culture Potato Seed LAB Provides healthy planting stocks to potato farmers and researchers
- Maintain and revive a comprehensive collection of commercial potato varieties in tissue culture
- Perform pathogen testing on grower samples to help them stay in compliance with state, national, and international seed potato certification standards
- Perform research focused on improving potato tissue culture growth to benefit the public
- Perform outreach activities such as lab tours, training, and presentations on current research
Imported Seed Contains 1.5% – 2% Disease.
The imported Tissue Culture potato seed is the certified level seed. Seed was exported to use after 7 to 8 times cultivation when it comes to the certified level. It has about 1.5 % to 2% disease and they export it to our Country.
Imported Seed is not a Basic-level Seed
If we import the basic level seeds, it will be so expensive. Farmers cannot afford it. Whereas JPL Tissue Culture Potato seed is 100% Virus-free and it is the basic standard Level. JPL provides fourth-generation potato seeds to its farmers.
Due to its high cost farmers cultivate Imported potato seed after cutting it in two pieces. It increases the disease rate from 2% to 3-4%, which affects the yield potential. Moreover, the imported potato seed can be cultivated for a maximum period of 2 to 3 years as its productivity is greatly reduced.
JPL Tissue Culture Seed is 100% Virus-Free
Whereas Jullundur – JPL Tissue Culture potato seed is 100% disease-free. Farmers cultivate it for 7 to 8 years. During this period the productivity of JPL Tissue Culture potato seed is not affected and the growers are spared from loss.